Belt conveyor are the most commonly used conveyors when it comes to bulk handling. This is because they are reliable, versatile, and have a wide range of capabilities. They are also cost effective and very efficient. Moreover, belt conveyor can be used to change elevation when transporting a product. This is because of the high friction created between the carrying belt and the item. This is proof that belt conveyor are very versatile because they can be used for bulk and unit materials and can be located overhead or on the floor.
Benefits of Belt Conveyor
- One of the cheapest ways to move bulk material long distances.
- Belt conveyor can handle material sizes from very fine to large lump sizes (Portland cement, coal).
- Supports large capacities either in batching operations or small amount of material between processes.
- Belt conveyor require less horsepower to operate due to the static movement of the materials being carried on top of the belt.
- Belt Conveyor commonly used in Cement Industry, Food industry, Chemical Industry, Paper Industry, Steel Industry &Power industry.
Common Belt Conveyor Application
- Assembly and kitting operations.
- Transportation of products over long distances.
- Transportation of loose materials or trash.
- Pre-Sortation where gapping and product tracking are essential.
- Delivery of product to and from robotic cells.
- Conveyance at high speeds.
- Inclining and Declining Conveyors.
The belt conveyor system consists of
- Drive unit (electric motor, coupling multistage gearbox).
- Pulleys (Drive pulley).
- Belts (textile or steel cords).